Monee cemetery tombstones vandalized
November 19, 2012 (MONEE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Police in far south suburban Monee are looking for suspects who vandalized dozens of cemetery tombstones over the weekend.
Investigators say 44 tombstones were destroyed or toppled at the St. Paul's United Church of Christ cemetery.
The church's staff says they are working to notify the affected families whose loved ones are buried there.
"The church had just gotten over and a lot of members came out to take a look and people were very, very upset," said cemetery board secretary Christi Holston. "These are grandparents and aunts and uncles... It's a small community so it hit very hard."
There was a similar incident last year at the same cemetery involving 11 headstones. St. Paul's is the only cemetery in Monee.
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands 29 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Joe McGinniss dies at 71 after cancer battle 4 min ago
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to... 38 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77