Monee cemetery tombstones vandalized
November 19, 2012 (MONEE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Police in far south suburban Monee are looking for suspects who vandalized dozens of cemetery tombstones over the weekend.
Investigators say 44 tombstones were destroyed or toppled at the St. Paul's United Church of Christ cemetery.
The church's staff says they are working to notify the affected families whose loved ones are buried there.
"The church had just gotten over and a lot of members came out to take a look and people were very, very upset," said cemetery board secretary Christi Holston. "These are grandparents and aunts and uncles... It's a small community so it hit very hard."
There was a similar incident last year at the same cemetery involving 11 headstones. St. Paul's is the only cemetery in Monee.
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs 30 min ago
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun to Elgin school 11 min ago
- Block 37 developers indicted on federal fraud charges 43 min ago
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Rally held to support CTA program that helps ex-convicts 41 min ago
- Metra Rock Island train hits car on South Side
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- Michael Jordan shoes from Finals sell for $104K
- Coyote attacks on small dogs reported in Wheaton
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party 3 min ago
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun...
11 min ago
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
30 min ago
- Feds crack down on unsafe buses
6 min ago