Monee cemetery tombstones vandalized
November 19, 2012 (MONEE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Police in far south suburban Monee are looking for suspects who vandalized dozens of cemetery tombstones over the weekend.
Investigators say 44 tombstones were destroyed or toppled at the St. Paul's United Church of Christ cemetery.
The church's staff says they are working to notify the affected families whose loved ones are buried there.
"The church had just gotten over and a lot of members came out to take a look and people were very, very upset," said cemetery board secretary Christi Holston. "These are grandparents and aunts and uncles... It's a small community so it hit very hard."
There was a similar incident last year at the same cemetery involving 11 headstones. St. Paul's is the only cemetery in Monee.
- 5 kids shot in Greater Grand Crossing drive-by 14 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 3 min ago
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout