Woman accused of stalking Fr. Michael Pfleger
November 20, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A suburban woman is being held without bond following her arrest on charges of stalking Father Michael Pfleger.
The suspect was arrested after disrupting services at St. Sabina Church on the city's South Side.
Pfleger has spent most of his adult life fighting gun violence, gang crime, drugs and drink, so he knows a bit about difficult -- sometimes threatening -- moments, but a situation he has dealt with of late has been, for Pfleger, both unfamiliar and uncomfortable.
At least six times over the last month, prosecutors say, 55-year-old Lydia Kuzniar, of Deerfield, has come to Pfleger's church, St. Sabina. On three of those occasions, during mass, witnesses say Kuzniar ran down the main aisle of the church toward Pfleger at the altar, but was intercepted by security. Three other times she refused to leave the church office and was arrested.
Pfleger asked for and received an emergency no contact stalking order against Kuzinar, but on Sunday she returned to the church and was taken into custody.
In court Tuesday, Kuzniar told the judge that she didn't observe man's law, only God's, and that she had seen Pfleger on television, fell in love with him, that they were destined to marry, and together they would bring change to the Catholic Church.
Father Pfleger says the state's attorney's office has asked him to refrain from commenting on the issue.
Although Kuzniar says she does not observe man's law, she is being compelled to obey. The judge had ordered her held without bond and she must undergo a psychiatric evaluation.
local, paul meincke
- 2 winter storms take aim at Chicago area
- Missing Michigan doctor's car found in Indiana
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Dixon to receive $9.2M restitution in Crundwell case
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- Indiana Toll Road reopened after truck rollover
- Elkhart native killed in NATO helicopter crash in Afghanistan
- Aurora pastor gets 12 years in prison
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates