Woman accused of stalking Fr. Michael Pfleger
November 20, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A suburban woman is being held without bond following her arrest on charges of stalking Father Michael Pfleger.
The suspect was arrested after disrupting services at St. Sabina Church on the city's South Side.
Pfleger has spent most of his adult life fighting gun violence, gang crime, drugs and drink, so he knows a bit about difficult -- sometimes threatening -- moments, but a situation he has dealt with of late has been, for Pfleger, both unfamiliar and uncomfortable.
At least six times over the last month, prosecutors say, 55-year-old Lydia Kuzniar, of Deerfield, has come to Pfleger's church, St. Sabina. On three of those occasions, during mass, witnesses say Kuzniar ran down the main aisle of the church toward Pfleger at the altar, but was intercepted by security. Three other times she refused to leave the church office and was arrested.
Pfleger asked for and received an emergency no contact stalking order against Kuzinar, but on Sunday she returned to the church and was taken into custody.
In court Tuesday, Kuzniar told the judge that she didn't observe man's law, only God's, and that she had seen Pfleger on television, fell in love with him, that they were destined to marry, and together they would bring change to the Catholic Church.
Father Pfleger says the state's attorney's office has asked him to refrain from commenting on the issue.
Although Kuzniar says she does not observe man's law, she is being compelled to obey. The judge had ordered her held without bond and she must undergo a psychiatric evaluation.
local, paul meincke
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap