ABC7 Exclusive: Woman, 89, murdered, house set on fire; Family wants answers
November 21, 2012 (BATAVIA, Ill.) (WLS) -- As police search for the killer of a woman whose home was then set on fire, the victim's family wonders who could commit such a crime.
Dorothy Dumyahn, 89, was killed in southwest suburban Crest Hill. She and her family had been planning a Thanksgiving gathering for Thursday.
Dumyahn's daughter, Cheryl Parker, and her granddaughter, Nicole Sapit, spoke exclusively with ABC7, sharing their sadness and disbelief.
Parker left her mother's home Saturday evening after setting up Christmas decorations. The next morning she learned her mother was dead, apparently murdered before the killer set her house on fire to try to eliminate evidence.
"She is 89. Who would want to harm an 89-year-old woman? I have no idea whatsoever why this would happen to her," said Parker.
An off-duty firefighter noticed the fire early Sunday morning and went in to pull Dumyahn out of the house, possibly preserving her body well enough for investigators obtain forensic evidence.
Her family says despite her advanced years, Dumyahn was active and independent. She was the one who took care of everyone else, they say. A devout Catholic, she was a homemaker who doted on her family.
Police have released few details about their investigation.
"No one ever deserves to die this way. But for a defenseless, perfectly innocent old lady, it's unimaginable," said Sapit.
"I hope the person or persons, he or she, who did this will serve a lifetime of punishment, because it was horrible," said Parker.
Dumyahn is survived by a large family including two children, five grandchildren and five great grandchildren.
local, john garcia
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin 10 min ago
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Lake Station mayor, family plead not guilty to corruption charges 7 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Jeopardy to air Late Night
- Presidential library in Chicago takes step forward 12 min ago
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run 6 min ago
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care 47 min ago
- Boy, 15, charged as adult in South Side shooting
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- US decries anti-Semitic leaflets in Ukraine
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1 43 min ago
- Chicago Bulls launch 'SEE RED' playoff campaign 43 min ago
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship 55 min ago
- Fans gear up for Bulls, Blackhawks playoffs
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos