Thanksgiving parade kicks off Chicago's holiday season
November 22, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Thousands of Chicago-area residents lined State Street for the annual Thanksgiving Day Parade, taking advantage of Thursday's mild temperatures.
The 79th year of the parade not only featured some of the area's most talented high school marching bands and other entertainment, but also the Tom and Jerry cartoon balloon inflatables for the first time.
"Five-thousand performers, probably about 300 horses, about 12 helium balloons, 24 marching bands, 17 floats," said Phil Purevich, parade executive producer.
Warmer weather brought out the crowds for the parade, which started during the Great Depression in an effort to lift the public's spirits and bring the community together.
"This is a fabulous way to start the holidays. It makes us think of all we're thankful for. It's wonderful," said Mike O'Donnell, parade goer.
"It's pretty good, everyone is really pumped," said Airi Wright, performer.
While many who came were left awed by the sights and sounds, the highlight was the parade's very special guest, Santa Claus.
Organizers say the parade serves as a kick off to the holiday season.
"It just gets people in the mood. They come out here, they celebrate Thanksgiving and everyone is ready for those great sales on Friday," said Purevich.
local, evelyn holmes
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3 9 min ago
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood 1 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 13 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks 1 min ago
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd 26 min ago
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
9 min ago
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket...
13 min ago