Woman struck by hit-and-run driver while placing child in car seat
November 23, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A woman struck by a hit-and-run driver after strapping her child into a car seat is in critical condition.
Tiarra Stallworth was injured in the 8700 block of South Burley Avenue Wednesday evening.
The victim's relatives say the hit-and-run driver returned to the scene, saw their loved one on the ground and still sped away, and it all played out in front of the victim's 9-year-old son.
"He said he told his mom, 'Watch out,' and he said she looked up," said Stallworth's boyfriend Michael Gibson.
Loved-ones of the 29-year-old Stallworth have a message for the driver who struck her and kept going.
"I don't understand how they can just sit there and know that they did it," said Stallworth's niece, Megan Alm. "Just turn yourself in. That's all that I'm asking, just turn yourself in.
It happened Thursday evening around 6:30 in the 8700 block of South Burley.
Stallworth was putting her 10-month-old son in her vehicle's car seat.
Her 9-year-old son Michael was standing feet away and saw the impact, which took the door off his mother's car.
"He just grabbed her, and he kept telling her to get up," Gibson said. "She rolled over. She looked at him, looked up in the sky, and he said she closed her eyes."
Young Michael told his father that the female driver then turned around and came back.
"She got out of the car, and she asked was everybody okay? And he said, he told her 'You hit my mama,'" Gibson said.
Relatives say the woman then drove off.
Both children were unhurt but Stallworth was taken to Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn. Her condition Friday night was critical.
"Thanksgiving is something for our family to come together," Alm said. "And now we don't have that family member. She's here."
"She knew," Gibson said. "She knew. She looked at her. She looked at her on the ground. She looked dead at her, and she got back in the car."
Police describe the vehicle that hit Stallworth as a white SUV with front-end damage. There may also be some black paint on that SUV, from the victim's car.
local, eric horng
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run 39 min ago
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Boy, 15, charged in shooting of boy, 14, on city's South Side 59 min ago
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- Man stabbed in back on McKinley Park street
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1
- Bulls 1st round playoff schedule vs Wizards released
- I-Team: New defendant added in 'El Chapo' case
- Portland shootout injures officer, kills police dog
- Beltran-Leyva gang leader arrested, Mexico says
- Growing Problem: Stolen Smart Phones
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77