CPS suggests school closure moratorium -- for fall 2013
November 26, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago Public Schools CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett suggested a five-year moratorium on school closures that would start next fall.
Byrd-Bennett said she wants to "right-size" the classrooms that have open spots before then; more than 100,000 open seats are reported across the district in underutilized CPS schools. To add students to those classrooms, other schools would be closed -- all before the moratorium could go into effect.
At issue- the closing of those schools has been a source of contention with the Chicago Teachers Union and parents. And, with a fall 2013 moratorium, some schools could close before then.
CPS has yet to disclose the number of schools it plans to close.
"Once we have a number, I will make a recommendation to the board. Stop the bleeding. Stop the trauma. And move forward," Byrd-Bennett said.
To move forward with the possible moratorium, Illinois lawmakers would have to extend the deadline for announcing school actions from December 1 to March 31.
"First they delay the deadline, then they want to have a moratorium. Those are admissions that this is a failed policy," said Chicago Teachers Union's Jesse Sharkey.
"I have to remain optimistic that we will get the extension," said Byrd-Bennett. "That's number one. Number two, as we declare a moratorium for five years, we mean it."
local, theresa gutierrez
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Film offers glimpse of 1940s-era Chicago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Speed cams start issuing tickets in some areas
- Autopsy on body found near where woman last seen
- Ice jams on Rock River force evacuations 42 min ago
- Kennedy Expressway reversible lanes closed Saturday 10 min ago
- Orr Academy basketball player back in game after shooting
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- abcnews: Chris Brown Arrested for Violating Probation