Giving Tuesday encourages donations, charity
November 27, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- They say it's better to give than receive, and Giving Tuesday is your chance to do just that.
Little Dahlia was born four months early. She has been a patient at Lurie Children's Hospital since then. Nurses keep careful watch of her blood pressure for signs of complications.
Tom Sullivan, Lurie Children's Hospital Foundation, said the hospital has a phenomenal team that takes care of small babies.
Those little blood pressure cuffs are now among the things that you can give. Lurie is part of Children's Miracle Network with the Ultimate Gift Catalog. The catalog is out in time for Giving Tuesday, a national campaign to promote philanthropic giving during the holiday season. For instance, you could donate five infant blood pressure cuffs for $45 or 360 preemie diapers for $170.
Sullivan said the hospital wants to offer the best options possible to children.
Tuesday's donations are expected to have long-term effects. The Red Cross dispatches crews to national disasters like Hurricane Sandy and locally disaster relief workers are dispatched three to four times a day -- often to fires.
The spokeswoman for the Red Cross says a $10 text of RED CROSS to 90999 can buy blankets and supplies for those displaced by disasters.
Participating Local Organizations:
--- American Red Cross of Greater Chicago
--- Children's Hospital is www.givemiracles.org
--- United Way of Lake County
local, leah hope
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court
- Police: KC highway shooting suspect in custody
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Huntley votes to ban e-cigarettes in schools
- Man shot in Lincoln Square
- Francis Cardinal George holds Holy Thursday mass
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run
- Chicago woman owns first Ford Mustang ever sold
- Presidential library in Chicago takes step forward
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos