Giving Tuesday encourages donations, charity
November 27, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- They say it's better to give than receive, and Giving Tuesday is your chance to do just that.
Little Dahlia was born four months early. She has been a patient at Lurie Children's Hospital since then. Nurses keep careful watch of her blood pressure for signs of complications.
Tom Sullivan, Lurie Children's Hospital Foundation, said the hospital has a phenomenal team that takes care of small babies.
Those little blood pressure cuffs are now among the things that you can give. Lurie is part of Children's Miracle Network with the Ultimate Gift Catalog. The catalog is out in time for Giving Tuesday, a national campaign to promote philanthropic giving during the holiday season. For instance, you could donate five infant blood pressure cuffs for $45 or 360 preemie diapers for $170.
Sullivan said the hospital wants to offer the best options possible to children.
Tuesday's donations are expected to have long-term effects. The Red Cross dispatches crews to national disasters like Hurricane Sandy and locally disaster relief workers are dispatched three to four times a day -- often to fires.
The spokeswoman for the Red Cross says a $10 text of RED CROSS to 90999 can buy blankets and supplies for those displaced by disasters.
Participating Local Organizations:
--- American Red Cross of Greater Chicago
--- Children's Hospital is www.givemiracles.org
--- United Way of Lake County
local, leah hope
- Board votes to close 50 CPS schools, programs
- Flight delays, cancellations at O'Hare, Midway
- Brian Urlacher announces retirement from NFL
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 2 bodies found in car in West Englewood
- How much money will be saved by school closures?
- Chicago vehicle stickers now on sale
- Lombard man charged with threatening Glenbard East H.S.
- Donald Trump civil trial jury deliberations begin
- 4 school buses crash in Indiana, 50 injured
- Mahalia Jackson community glad school will stay open
- West Aurora sex abuse probe ends without arrests
- Palmer House Hilton up for sale
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos