Giving Tuesday encourages donations, charity
November 27, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- They say it's better to give than receive, and Giving Tuesday is your chance to do just that.
Little Dahlia was born four months early. She has been a patient at Lurie Children's Hospital since then. Nurses keep careful watch of her blood pressure for signs of complications.
Tom Sullivan, Lurie Children's Hospital Foundation, said the hospital has a phenomenal team that takes care of small babies.
Those little blood pressure cuffs are now among the things that you can give. Lurie is part of Children's Miracle Network with the Ultimate Gift Catalog. The catalog is out in time for Giving Tuesday, a national campaign to promote philanthropic giving during the holiday season. For instance, you could donate five infant blood pressure cuffs for $45 or 360 preemie diapers for $170.
Sullivan said the hospital wants to offer the best options possible to children.
Tuesday's donations are expected to have long-term effects. The Red Cross dispatches crews to national disasters like Hurricane Sandy and locally disaster relief workers are dispatched three to four times a day -- often to fires.
The spokeswoman for the Red Cross says a $10 text of RED CROSS to 90999 can buy blankets and supplies for those displaced by disasters.
Participating Local Organizations:
--- American Red Cross of Greater Chicago
--- Children's Hospital is www.givemiracles.org
--- United Way of Lake County
local, leah hope
- China-bound jet vanishes with 239 people aboard 14 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 1 min ago
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train 28 min ago
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event 30 min ago
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- China-bound jet vanishes with 239 people...
14 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift...
1 min ago
- Rare Tea Cellar stocks one-of-a-kind products
1 min ago