Giving Tuesday encourages donations, charity
November 27, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- They say it's better to give than receive, and Giving Tuesday is your chance to do just that.
Little Dahlia was born four months early. She has been a patient at Lurie Children's Hospital since then. Nurses keep careful watch of her blood pressure for signs of complications.
Tom Sullivan, Lurie Children's Hospital Foundation, said the hospital has a phenomenal team that takes care of small babies.
Those little blood pressure cuffs are now among the things that you can give. Lurie is part of Children's Miracle Network with the Ultimate Gift Catalog. The catalog is out in time for Giving Tuesday, a national campaign to promote philanthropic giving during the holiday season. For instance, you could donate five infant blood pressure cuffs for $45 or 360 preemie diapers for $170.
Sullivan said the hospital wants to offer the best options possible to children.
Tuesday's donations are expected to have long-term effects. The Red Cross dispatches crews to national disasters like Hurricane Sandy and locally disaster relief workers are dispatched three to four times a day -- often to fires.
The spokeswoman for the Red Cross says a $10 text of RED CROSS to 90999 can buy blankets and supplies for those displaced by disasters.
Participating Local Organizations:
--- American Red Cross of Greater Chicago
--- Children's Hospital is www.givemiracles.org
--- United Way of Lake County
local, leah hope
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy 46 min ago
- Temps dip to 18-year low, more snow on the way
- Evan Lysacek out of Sochi Games due to injury 57 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- SNAP: Reaction to Lakeview priest allegations not enough
- Northwest Side fire displaces 5
- Flossmoor fire injures woman 23 min ago
- Evanston attempted sex assault triggers alert 14 min ago
- Bears fans brave frigid temps at Soldier Field
- O'Hare yoga room opening 8 min ago
- Waukegan police search for suspect in sex assault
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Illinois man charged with animal cruelty defends actions
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913
- 7 in :77
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
46 min ago