Kankakee man killed trying to help motorist on I-57 downstate
November 29, 2012 (ONARGA, Ill.) (WLS) -- A Good Samaritan and a man he was trying to help were killed Wednesday while trying to fix a tire on Interstate 57.
It happened Wednesday evening on I-57 near the town of Onarga about 30 miles from Kankakee.
Eighty-year-old Jack Douglas of Bartlett stopped to help Jimmy Lee Westbrook from Tennessee.
Westbrook was killed when he went to retrieve the tire. Douglas crossed the street to call for help and was also hit by a vehicle and died.
Douglas's family says his extraordinary act of kindness reflects his humble nature.
"He stopped, because as far as paying it forward -- people were kind so him, so he would do the same thing," said son-in-law John Babowice. "The trooper had actually called him a hero. He says people very rarely stop."
So far there have been no charges filed in either accident.
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 41 min ago
- Chicago shootings: 7 dead, 22 hurt since Friday night
- Bad Wolf Coffee offers French caneles
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- Woman wanted for Wicker Park bank robbery 49 min ago
- BMO Harris Bank branch in Austin robbed
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- YMCA in Naperville gears up for 'Healthy Kids Day'
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home
- Ready For Spring Planting
43 min ago
- Daily Herald: Aspiring Park Ranger
46 min ago
- Newsviews: I-DOT Road Construction
4 min ago