Kankakee man killed trying to help motorist on I-57 downstate
November 29, 2012 (ONARGA, Ill.) (WLS) -- A Good Samaritan and a man he was trying to help were killed Wednesday while trying to fix a tire on Interstate 57.
It happened Wednesday evening on I-57 near the town of Onarga about 30 miles from Kankakee.
Eighty-year-old Jack Douglas of Bartlett stopped to help Jimmy Lee Westbrook from Tennessee.
Westbrook was killed when he went to retrieve the tire. Douglas crossed the street to call for help and was also hit by a vehicle and died.
Douglas's family says his extraordinary act of kindness reflects his humble nature.
"He stopped, because as far as paying it forward -- people were kind so him, so he would do the same thing," said son-in-law John Babowice. "The trooper had actually called him a hero. He says people very rarely stop."
So far there have been no charges filed in either accident.
- Driver charged after bicyclist killed in Douglas Park accident 22 min ago
- Freeze hits Chicago area, snow expected Sunday
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 46 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world
- ComEd vault fire in West Loop
- Astor House tenants face eviction
- New church opens for fast-growing congregation
- Cancer patient without heat after power shut off
- 'Peeping Tom' caught watching woman before assault
- Dylan's electric guitar sells for nearly $1M
- Couples renew marriage vows at Field Museum
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged Cannibal Run Hotel With Grilling Area
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
46 min ago