Chicago artist designs White House Christmas tree ornaments
November 30, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An artist from Chicago had the opportunity to make some of the ornaments that are on one of the Christmas trees in the White House.
- PHOTOS: 2012 White House Christmas Decorations
- LINK: 'Bo' the dog inspects White House Christmas decorations
The holidays have officially begun at the White House. Ninety-thousand are expected to see the elaborate holiday decorations in person. There are 43 trees on public display now and some of them had Chicago inspiration.
Heidi Feinerman began making miniature terrariums for friends.
A year ago she started Turtlehill Studio. But this summer she got an invite to make smaller terrariums for White House ornaments."They loved seeing the ornament as whole and then noticing the plant life in there, and as they get closer there's a little vignette," said Feinerman.
So Feinerman created ornaments specific to the Obama White House -- like a mini "Bo." Dozens of her ornaments adorn a tree in the green room as well as terrarium kind of snow globes.
It was Feinerman's first trip to DC and her first trip to the White House.
"It was so beautiful to see that you were part of that. It was just great," said Feinerman.
Glass blower Brent Rogers made the glass for Feinerman's ornaments. Each piece was handmade and crafted in Chicago.
Rogers has made countless pieces in his life, but this was the first time to made piece for the White House.
"It's kind of the first series of commissions I've done since I've moved to Chicago, so it's pretty cool to have it go right there," said Rogers.
Three other Chicago artists were asked to participate: Jami Darwin Chiang, David Lee Csicsko and David Condon.
The Chicago-based agency EA managed this year's holiday decor at the White House.
And, as you might expect, Bo plays prominently in a lot of the designs.
local, leah hope
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say 7 min ago
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox 45 min ago
- Chicago typhoon relief shipments reach the Philippines 15 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute