Hostage suspect surrenders after residents evacuate
November 30, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A suspect surrendered in a hostage situation at a spa after residents in the area were asked to leave their homes as police tried to secure the area.
This all played out near 31st and Archer Friday evening.
A shirtless suspect is in custody ending a hostage stand-off that rattled the McKinley Park neighborhood.
"This is like a shocker to know that something like this is happening in the neighborhood," said resident Felicia Quintero.
The hostage situation took place in a spa on the first floor. Sam Gonzalez lives on the third floor.
"Our neighbor happens to be an officer as well, we asked him what was going on (and) he said it was a domestic situation, so we decided to take off, head on out and spend our evening elsewhere," Gonzalez said.
Police officers say the man entered the business on Archer Avenue, got upset, and then held the woman against her will.
Police immediately swarmed the area and the situation ended without incident.
"We never hear about anything like this happening, never this close to home," said resident Maria Cortez.
Chicago Police are still processing the suspect. His name has not been released, nor what charges he may be facing.
local, stacey baca
- Boy, 13, describes Aurora home invasion
- Ga lottery winner claims Mega Millions prize
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Mom honors son's memory by delivering toys to sick children
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks
- Durbin presses regulators to prevent tanker tragedies
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus