Elderly man killed in West Garfield Park home fire
December 2, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A fire in the city's West Garfield Park neighborhood claimed the life of a man Sunday morning.
The fire started around 11 a.m. at a house on the 4000-block of West Van Buren Street, according to police.
A patron at a nearby church first alerted authorities about the blaze and crews found a 76-year old man in the home.
The man was taken to Mount Sinai hospital in critical condition and later pronounced dead.
Fire Department officials said the home had no smoke detectors.
- Board votes to close 50 CPS schools, programs
- Fmr. student allegedly threatened Glenbard East H.S.
- Brian Urlacher announces retirement from NFL
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Four schools spared during final CPS vote
- 2 bodies found in car in West Englewood
- Palmer House Hilton up for sale
- Chicago vehicle stickers now on sale
- West Aurora sex abuse probe ends without arrests
- Donald Trump civil trial jury deliberations begin
- 4 school buses crash in Indiana, 50 injured
- Memorial Day: Travel down, gas prices up
- CPS closings numbers compared to other major cities
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos