Who's in and who's out in the race for Jesse Jackson's Jr. seat
December 2, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Pastor Corey Brooks surprised his congregation by announcing that he would not be running for Congress after all.
Brooks, who said in November that he was considering a run, is out but former State Representative Robin Kelly is in.
Kelly joins several other candidates who have a very short time frame to gather signatures for petitions, work on their name recognition and raise money.
Many suburban and city politicians are anxious to take advantage of the congressional seat left open following Jesse Jackson Jr.'s resignation.
Democrat Kelly is running after losing the race for state treasurer two years ago.
"I'm running for all the women and men in our communities living paycheck to paycheck," she said.
Brooks chose the place where he felt most comfortable to announce he would rather be a pastor than a congressman, his church.
"I'm not running because of my family-number one, number two- church and Project Hood," Brooks said.
While Brooks has opted out, another Chicagoan may also take a pass on the seat. Alderman Will Burns is reportedly leaning against a bid.
There are still plenty of others competing for this rare open seat including: former Congresswoman Debbie Halvorson, former Congressman and convicted felon Mel Reynolds, Alderman Anthony Beale, State Senators Donne Trotter , Toi Hutchinson, and State Senator-elect Napoleon Harris.
Even though the district has been remapped and reaches down to Kankakee, it remains majority African American and very Democratic.
"African Americans tend to be very loyal, more than most Democrats, to their elected representatives," ABC7 Political Analyst Laura Washington said. "So once you get in, it's really, really hard to get out-unless you're trying real hard."
Republican State Party Chairman Pat Brady said for the moment, Republicans are watching the Democrats' horse race for the seat.
local, sarah schulte
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Film offers glimpse of 1940s-era Chicago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 47 min ago
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder 6 min ago
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday 59 min ago
- Speed cams start issuing tickets in some areas 20 min ago
- Autopsy on body found near where woman last seen 32 min ago
- Con men targeting Mount Greenwood senior citizens
- Orr Academy basketball player back in game after shooting
- Senate candidate criticized for trip before election
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- abcnews: Chris Brown Arrested for Violating Probation
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
47 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day Parade Queen
28 min ago
- Let's Dish: Guinness Steak
55 min ago