Unseasonably warm weekend draws shoppers downtown
December 2, 2012 (WLS) -- Christmas shopping seemed to get a real boost on Saturday and Sunday.
With temperatures in the 60s, the main shopping districts downtown were clogged with people.
On State Street families stopped to enjoy the windows at Macy's while doing some holiday shopping. Even though it is December 2nd, people were walking around without coats and gloves.
"It's one for the records. When it's this warm you have to take advantage of a day like today," Chris Gomez said.
For the second consecutive day, temperatures were in the 60s across Chicago and that was the cue for everyone to come out and spend.
It's good news for retailers on Michigan Avenue who depend greatly on the weather cooperating throughout the holiday season to keep the crowds walking up and down the Magnificent Mile with shopping bags in hand.
"I love shopping so I have no problem with it but it's not Christmas shopping for my family. It's Christmas shopping for myself," shopper Gaby Gonzalez said.
Even though the economy is still sagging, a recent survey from the National Retail Federation found that over Thanksgiving weekend overall spending reached $59.1 billion dollars. That's up nearly 13 percent from last year.
The question is whether people will continue to spend as the season goes on.
"We've been really efficient," Jeff Priebe said. "But we're spending. We've been blessed, we've been able to spend a little bit
local, michelle gallardo
- 4 children injured in S. Side drive-by shooting
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout