District 300 teachers union and school board reach agreement, marking end to teachers strike
December 4, 2012 (CARPENTERSVILLE, Ill.) (WLS) -- More than 20,000 students will return to class in the northwest suburbs on Wednesday.
The school board and the teachers union in District 300 reached an agreement Tuesday night, ending a teachers strike that affected students in eight suburban communities, including Carpentersville, Dundee, Barrington Hills, Algonquin and Lake in the Hills.
Hundreds of teachers picketed in Carpentersville on Tuesday for smaller class sizes and higher wages.
On Tuesday night, both sides said they were happy with the outcome of the new agreement.
"District 300 and the board of education believe that the agreement that is reached is fair to the teachers and responsible for the taxpayers," said Anne Miller, school board president.
"I think that we've come to a place where our members and the board of education can move forward in our relationship, and I think we've come to a place where we can start building the future that we're looking for," said Mike Williamson, teachers union spokesperson.
The terms of the contract have not yet been released.
The teachers union made the decision to strike Monday evening, and students remained out of the classroom for just one school day.
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight' 54 min ago
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Film offers glimpse of 1940s-era Chicago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 23 min ago
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday 35 min ago
- Autopsy on body found near where woman last seen 8 min ago
- Orr Academy basketball player back in game after shooting
- Senate candidate criticized for trip before election 52 min ago
- Digital assets becoming part of estate planning
- I-Team: Billionaire arrested on Chicago corruption charges
- Con men targeting Mount Greenwood senior citizens
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- abcnews: Chris Brown Arrested for Violating Probation
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
23 min ago
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
54 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day Parade Queen
4 min ago
- Let's Dish: Guinness Steak
31 min ago