Off-duty Cook County Corrections officer shot
December 4, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An off-duty Cook County Corrections officer was shot early Tuesday morning near Interstate 57 and Halsted, according to officials.
The officer realized someone was following him while he was driving. Shortly after, shots were fired.
Officials said he was hit several times- in the jaw, back and four times in the shoulder.
However, he survived the incident and was able to call 911 and his family,
The officer, who is a seven-year veteran of the department, is recovering at Stroger Hospital.
Information on a suspect was not available.
- Fire at storefront church in Gary 3 min ago
- Chicago temps to plunge as arctic air moves in
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Man allegedly assaulted first responders in River North
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado victims 2 min ago
- 911 dispatchers recall Washington IL tornado
- Midlothian officer faces excessive force charges
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville
- Soul Children give Chicago show before Europe tour
- Photos: Toddler falls meeting Obama puppy 'Sunny'
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado...
2 min ago