MillerCoors sponsors CTA penny rides on New Year's Eve
December 4, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A beer company is sponsoring the CTA New Year's Eve program that allows people to use public transit for a penny.
MillerCoors was announced as the first corporate sponsor of the program, designed to minimize drunk driving on New Year's Eve.
The company will pay $1.3 million under a three-year deal.
Each year, an average of 150,000 CTA riders use the penny ride program, which is in effect from 10 p.m. on New Year's Eve through 4 a.m. January 1.
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox 15 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed 38 min ago
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Earthquake in California centered in Eureka
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- ABC7 To Go 3-10-14
32 min ago