Jennifer Hudson performs at Chicago's House of Blues
December 4, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Oscar-winning singer and Chicago-native Jennifer Hudson used her talents to help local children in need on Tuesday.
She performed at the House of Blues in celebration of her cover photo on Michigan Avenue Magazine.
Invited guests were asked to bring a toy or book for the Julian D. King Gift Foundation, in honor of Hudson's late nephew.
Hudson spoke with ABC7's Janet Davies about her own son and his musical talents.
"He sings. His favorite song is the Lion King song, 'I Can't Wait to be King.' And he sings it solo. His favorite part is the roar. I'm working on my roar," she said.
ABC7 will have more on Janet Davies' interview with Hudson on the news Wednesday afternoon.
- Bitter cold expected to last through the weekend
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Northern Illinois Huskies fall to Bowling Green 47-27
- Schaumburg woman missing since October found
- Vigil held for Khaseem Greene's cousin killed in NJ
- Blackhawks championship ring offered in raffle
- Family: Boy, 6, suffers post-traumatic stress after shooting
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next tanker tragedy
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas