Mark Kirk will return to Senate Jan. 3, aides confirm
December 6, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Illinois Senator Mark Kirk will be back in Washington, D.C., when Congress convenes on January 3, 2013.
Kirk, 53, had a stroke 10 months ago. Since January, he has under gone multiple brain surgeries and rigorous physical therapy. On Thursday, his staff announced he plans to be there for when the 113th Congress convenes.
"The timing is great for him to come back because the country could use his pragmatism," State Senator Matt Murphy, Palatine, said.
Illinois has been represented in Washington by just one senator, Democrat Dick Durbin, for the last year. Political experts say having the president from Chicago probably makes up for that, but Senator Kirk is a Republican who brings a unique military and foreign affairs background to Washington.
"It's better to have your representatives there, different opinions, they can work together," political scientist Paul Green said.
Senator Kirk told ABC7's Paul Meincke last month he plans to return to Washington with a legislative agenda that includes banning sewage dumping in the Great Lakes. Political observers say they expect him to be effective in Washington and in Illinois, in part because he's been straightforward with the voters during his recovery.
"I think the most important thing when Mark Kirk decides he's better is that he handled it with professionalism. And he was honest with the people."
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 3 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 28 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 51 min ago
- Signs of spring under blanket of snow
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- Elmhurst Armpit Orchestra in St. Patrick's Day parade
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
28 min ago
- Festival Fridays
1 min ago