Teen arrested with gun at gang member funeral
December 8, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Chicago police arrested a 17-year-old with a gun as part of its new plan to closely monitor gang funerals.
The funeral was for a known gang member on the West Side.
According to police, Roosevelt Yarber was inside the church for about ten minutes.
As Yarber left, officers stopped him and found the weapon.
He is not in a gang, but the young men he was with are confirmed gang members.
This is one of several incidents that have prompted police to closely monitor gang wakes and funerals.
"We do see the potential for violence at these gang wakes and funerals, and I know that it is the hope of the mayor and the superintendent that we can focus our efforts on gang violence at funerals and wakes," said Chicago Police Deputy Chief John Escalante.
Earlier this week, the mayor said police would have a presence at funerals and wakes.
The action comes following the fatal shooting of a man outside a funeral on the South Side last week.
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela
- Family searching for missing Lansing man
- 2 moms seek answers in sons' police shooting deaths
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Man sues, alleging victimization by convicted priest
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney