Shipping companies warn of holiday mail rush
December 10, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Monday is expected to be the busiest shipping day in FedEx history, company officials said.
They say the holiday mailing rush will only intensify through Christmas.
Bill Burgoon with FedEx offered tips in order to avoid steep costs associated with late deliveries.
"FedEx Ground is going to be your cheapest option. You have until December 17th to ship it and we'll guarantee by Christmas," said Burgoon.
Burgoon said after the 17th, FedEx shipping costs are expected to escalate.
For USPS, the deadline is December 20th, while UPS says December 19 will be the last date to ship without incurring additional fees.
UPS Store owner Rich Yee says it is important to keep the size of the package in mind.
"If you're shipping something to a relative out of state or out of the country, try to avoid something that is enormous. That way the shipping costs are usually higher because of the dimensional weight," said Yee.
Or, opt for gift cards like Denise Stipes.
"Even if it comes down to gift certificates, I have to get everything done by a certain time so everything makes it and everyone is happy at Christmas time," said Stipes.
For those who still need to ship, here are some important dates for delivery before Christmas, and links with additional tips and apps:
Dec 20 first class mail
Dec 21 priority mail
Dec 22 express mail
Dec 17 ground
Dec 22 FedEx
Dec 19 3 day select
Dec 21 Next Day Air
USPS shipping information:
Tips on How to Pack Items
local, leah hope
- Boy, 12, killed in hit-and-run in Whiting 9 min ago
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife 35 min ago
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- ComEd seeks rate hike to help pay for Smart Grid
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours
- Chicago casino plans pitched at gaming hearing
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire
- Chicago bridges lift as sailboats begin journey to harbors
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos