Shipping companies warn of holiday mail rush
December 10, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Monday is expected to be the busiest shipping day in FedEx history, company officials said.
They say the holiday mailing rush will only intensify through Christmas.
Bill Burgoon with FedEx offered tips in order to avoid steep costs associated with late deliveries.
"FedEx Ground is going to be your cheapest option. You have until December 17th to ship it and we'll guarantee by Christmas," said Burgoon.
Burgoon said after the 17th, FedEx shipping costs are expected to escalate.
For USPS, the deadline is December 20th, while UPS says December 19 will be the last date to ship without incurring additional fees.
UPS Store owner Rich Yee says it is important to keep the size of the package in mind.
"If you're shipping something to a relative out of state or out of the country, try to avoid something that is enormous. That way the shipping costs are usually higher because of the dimensional weight," said Yee.
Or, opt for gift cards like Denise Stipes.
"Even if it comes down to gift certificates, I have to get everything done by a certain time so everything makes it and everyone is happy at Christmas time," said Stipes.
For those who still need to ship, here are some important dates for delivery before Christmas, and links with additional tips and apps:
Dec 20 first class mail
Dec 21 priority mail
Dec 22 express mail
Dec 17 ground
Dec 22 FedEx
Dec 19 3 day select
Dec 21 Next Day Air
USPS shipping information:
Tips on How to Pack Items
local, leah hope
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Video: Lyons Township celebrates another gymnastics title
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Mobile payment option for metered parking
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds