Twinkies make final appearance at grocery stores
December 11, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Several grocery stores in the area are receiving their final shipments of Twinkies and other Hostess snacks Tuesday, which means lines to buy the coveted items were long.
- PHOTOS: Hostess fans stock up on Twinkies, HoHos
- LINK: Hostess fans scoop up snacks
- DOWNLOAD: Hostess Liquidation filing
Chicago area Jewel-Osco stores that have received the Hostess products have had strong sales today, and products at several of the stores have completely sold out, according to a spokesperson with the supermarket chain.
The spokesperson added that some area stores will not receive Hostess deliveries until Wednesday morning.
There is so much interest in the snack cake that Jewel-Osco has listed the time each store will receive deliveries Tuesday on its Facebook page.
One man walked out of a Northwest Side Jewel-Osco Tuesday at Irving and Cicero with 16 boxes of Twinkies.
"My dad was a pipe fitter, and he used to have Twinkies every day for lunch when he went to work. I grew up with them and all my friends did," Tom O'Connor said.
Jewel-Osco stores around the city and suburbs are expected to have some of the last shipments of the small snack cakes made by Hostess starting Tuesday morning. About 20,000 boxes of Twinkies and Hostess favorites are on their ways to stores across the Chicago area.
There has been a rush on the products since the company announced it was going to liquidate its assets and close.
"We were offered a shipment from Hostess. They said, 'Do you want them?' And we said, 'Absolutely yes,' and so this is when we could get them," said Karen May, external communications, Jewel-Osco. "We started getting the deliveries in the wee hours of the morning to some of our stores. Other stores that are getting them will get them later on in the afternoon, so this is just a big day for us."
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Boston Marathon bombing comment no threat to St. Patrick's Day...
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam 32 min ago
- More goats found dead in Ill. animal cruelty case 24 min ago
- CTA Green Line briefly interrupted
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Teacher's aide posed as teen to meet girls online
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Lawmakers say DCFS faces 'horrendous' challenges
- Free small business expo begins in Chicago
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD