Cell phones, other devices banned from Cook County court
December 12, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A warning for anyone heading to criminal court proceedings in Cook County: cell phones, tablets and other electronic devices capable of connecting to the Internet will soon be banned.
Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans ordered the ban on the devices to prevent gang members from intimidating witnesses and even potential jurors in criminal cases.
"Judges brought their concerns to me that people attending court proceddings were using their cell phones to photograph witnesses, judges, jurors, and prospective jurors. They also said persons appeared to be texting testimony to witnesses waiting their turn to testify outside the courtroom, while others were attempting to stream live to media comments by judges from the bench," said Evans, according a news release.
"The court is sending a strong message to gang members and others that any attempts to intimidate witnesses, jurors, and judges in court will not be permitted," Evans also wrote in the release. "The ban will help to ensure that justice is properly done by preserving the integrity of testimony and maintaining court decorum."
The ban will affect only those courthouse facilities in which criminal matters are heard.
It takes effect January 14, 2013.
Anyone violating the ban could face prosecution for contempt of court.
Those visiting the courthouses on official business and with approved identification are exempt from the ban.
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects face detention hearing
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Earthquake in California centered in Eureka
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- 7 in :77