Cell phones, other devices banned from Cook County court
December 12, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A warning for anyone heading to criminal court proceedings in Cook County: cell phones, tablets and other electronic devices capable of connecting to the Internet will soon be banned.
Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans ordered the ban on the devices to prevent gang members from intimidating witnesses and even potential jurors in criminal cases.
"Judges brought their concerns to me that people attending court proceddings were using their cell phones to photograph witnesses, judges, jurors, and prospective jurors. They also said persons appeared to be texting testimony to witnesses waiting their turn to testify outside the courtroom, while others were attempting to stream live to media comments by judges from the bench," said Evans, according a news release.
"The court is sending a strong message to gang members and others that any attempts to intimidate witnesses, jurors, and judges in court will not be permitted," Evans also wrote in the release. "The ban will help to ensure that justice is properly done by preserving the integrity of testimony and maintaining court decorum."
The ban will affect only those courthouse facilities in which criminal matters are heard.
It takes effect January 14, 2013.
Anyone violating the ban could face prosecution for contempt of court.
Those visiting the courthouses on official business and with approved identification are exempt from the ban.
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 14 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 15 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way 9 min ago
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as alderman 8 min ago
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
15 min ago