Violinist Jun Sung Ahn 'Gangnam Style' cover hits 2.4M views
December 11, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chances are you've heard ''Gangnam Style''-- but probably not Jun Sung Ahn's violin version of the pop song. Then again, maybe by now you have.
More than 2.4 million people have watched the violinist play -- and dance -- to Psy's "Gangnam Style" on youtube. And that number keeps growing.
"It picked up out of nowhere," Ahn said of his "Gangnam Style" video. Ahn, who is Korean-American, knew of the musician long before Korean pop star Psy gained international attention. "I thought it was goofy, and I like to dance. So I made the parody before it went crazy, spreading everywhere."
Ahn's video shows himself playing the violin and dancing- at the same time. "Cloning myself," he said. The whole thing took the radio/TV/film major about 45 minutes to make.
"The thinking process took a lot longer than the actual making of the video," Ahn said.
The Northwestern University sophomore, who is no longer formally studying the violin, but enjoys "fooling around" with it, has an entire youtube channel dedicated to covers of popular songs, ranging from Adele's "Skyfall" to Taylor Swift's "Red" and Eminem's "Lighters" to Lil Wayne's "How to Love."
While there may be more covers in his future, Ahn is also working on original music for the violin and piano, playing in a band, and performing with a spoken word artist.
Let's hope he keeps dancing, too.
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 6 shot at Austin party 20 min ago
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal 58 min ago
- Ford Motor leader William Clay Ford dead 33 min ago
- Medical marijuana law poses workplace dilemma
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Illinois halts plan to require ATV permits
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Video: Newsviews - Tom Cross 19 min ago
- Video: Newsviews - Bob Grogan
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds 36 min ago
- Newsviews - Tom Cross
19 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos