Violinist Jun Sung Ahn 'Gangnam Style' cover hits 2.4M views
December 11, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chances are you've heard ''Gangnam Style''-- but probably not Jun Sung Ahn's violin version of the pop song. Then again, maybe by now you have.
More than 2.4 million people have watched the violinist play -- and dance -- to Psy's "Gangnam Style" on youtube. And that number keeps growing.
"It picked up out of nowhere," Ahn said of his "Gangnam Style" video. Ahn, who is Korean-American, knew of the musician long before Korean pop star Psy gained international attention. "I thought it was goofy, and I like to dance. So I made the parody before it went crazy, spreading everywhere."
Ahn's video shows himself playing the violin and dancing- at the same time. "Cloning myself," he said. The whole thing took the radio/TV/film major about 45 minutes to make.
"The thinking process took a lot longer than the actual making of the video," Ahn said.
The Northwestern University sophomore, who is no longer formally studying the violin, but enjoys "fooling around" with it, has an entire youtube channel dedicated to covers of popular songs, ranging from Adele's "Skyfall" to Taylor Swift's "Red" and Eminem's "Lighters" to Lil Wayne's "How to Love."
While there may be more covers in his future, Ahn is also working on original music for the violin and piano, playing in a band, and performing with a spoken word artist.
Let's hope he keeps dancing, too.
- Zachary Fardon nominated for US Attorney 45 min ago
- Police: Drive safely, buckle up on holiday weekend
- Woman injured in Chicago Skyway crash
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- I-Team: Morgue donates bodies without authorization
- Chicago fast food workers protest for higher wages
- CTA bus crash in Chicago Lawn injures 2
- Pritzker's Commerce Secretary confirmation hearing begins
- Brian Urlacher retires from NFL after career with Chicago Bears
- Census bureau finds Chicago is growing, but slowly
- Northlake man to be sentenced after kids found tied
- Jurors to resume deliberations at Trump trial
- 24 sets of twins break record in Wilmette 5th grade
- abcnews: Twitter Beefs Up User Security
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos