Man dies after falling in Mich. Ave. hotel smokestack
December 13, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A man pulled from a smokestack high atop a Magnificent Mile hotel died at Northwestern Memorial Hospital early Thursday.
Fire crews were able to cut a hole in the smokestack that he fell into at the InterContinental Hotel and get him out. Crews got the call to respond to the InterContinental Hotel at 505 North Michigan Avenue just after 1 a.m. They found that the man had fallen into the smokestack while attempting to take photos on the roof.
Authorities say he actually climbed up onto the hotel's iconic dome and was in a restricted area above a 42nd floor balcony.
Fire officials say someone was with him, which is how they found out he fell in the first place. He fell about 22 feet before a structure inside the smokestack broke his fall. Beyond that, there would have been a 42-story drop below.
"The victim fell about 22 feet and was laying in the bottom of the chimney shaft at the 42nd floor. We had members from the top to assess his condition, and the whole time we're monitoring the situation for toxic gases. What we found is the best way to get him out would be go two floors below and we had to cut the ductwork for the chimney, which was made out of steel. We ended up sliding the victim down into the hole and removing him from the building," said one rescuer.
Fire officials say at first the man was mumbling but then he was in and out of consciousness and was able to make very limited communication with them during the confined-space rescue that took hours to undertake.
Dozens of emergency crews responded, blocking off Michigan Avenue between Ohio and Illinois.
The man was apparently trying to take photos on the roof when he fell.
The man had been calling and sending messages to his girlfriend throughout the ordeal, Fire Media Affairs said. However, authorities had not been in contact with the man for about 45 minutes as of about 4:15 a.m.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 12 min ago
- Chicago shootings: 7 dead, 22 hurt since Friday night 13 min ago
- Bad Wolf Coffee offers French caneles
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 55 min ago
- BMO Harris Bank branch in Austin robbed 4 min ago
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- YMCA in Naperville gears up for 'Healthy Kids Day'
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home