Video shows man stealing neighbor's package in Lakeview
December 13, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Package theft goes up this time of year, so some Chicagoans are teaming up with their neighbors to keep from thieves from stealing their deliveries.
A surveillance camera at Mike Shin's Lakeview home caught a man allegedly stealing a package. The man picks up a package on the porch, opens it, and stuffs the items in his jacket. He's shown getting around on a bicycle.
"It's terrible, especially during the holidays," Mike Shin said. Shin is letting his neighbors know about the incident via social media. He also hopes someone might recognize the man in the video.
The package was intended for their neighbor. The empty box was found on the Shin's front lawn. That led them to go through the surveillance video.
"We live in a great neighborhood, but I hear this stuff happening everywhere," Shin said.
"It definitely makes me nervous but I will be even more vigilant. I think the whole neighborhood will be," Jen Gordon, neighbor, said.
"It's infuriating and it can ruin people's holidays," Ald. Ameya Pawar, 47 Ward, said.
Alderman Pawar said the package thefts might be a good excuse for people to get to know their neighbors -- and to ask them to accept deliveries.
Shin also had a package delivered to his home on Wednesday. But that large, heavy package was left alone.
local, leah hope
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 33 min ago
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont 6 min ago
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 19 min ago
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last forum before primary
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Catalytic converters stolen from cars in Chicago Lawn
- I-55 rest stop dedicated to fallen state trooper
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Philly Airport
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
19 min ago
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
33 min ago
- 2014 International Home + Housewares Show
37 min ago