Video shows man stealing neighbor's package in Lakeview
December 13, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Package theft goes up this time of year, so some Chicagoans are teaming up with their neighbors to keep from thieves from stealing their deliveries.
A surveillance camera at Mike Shin's Lakeview home caught a man allegedly stealing a package. The man picks up a package on the porch, opens it, and stuffs the items in his jacket. He's shown getting around on a bicycle.
"It's terrible, especially during the holidays," Mike Shin said. Shin is letting his neighbors know about the incident via social media. He also hopes someone might recognize the man in the video.
The package was intended for their neighbor. The empty box was found on the Shin's front lawn. That led them to go through the surveillance video.
"We live in a great neighborhood, but I hear this stuff happening everywhere," Shin said.
"It definitely makes me nervous but I will be even more vigilant. I think the whole neighborhood will be," Jen Gordon, neighbor, said.
"It's infuriating and it can ruin people's holidays," Ald. Ameya Pawar, 47 Ward, said.
Alderman Pawar said the package thefts might be a good excuse for people to get to know their neighbors -- and to ask them to accept deliveries.
Shin also had a package delivered to his home on Wednesday. But that large, heavy package was left alone.
local, leah hope
- Man shot to death in Zion Aldi parking lot 39 min ago
- 'Sexting' ends Evanston HS baseball season early 48 min ago
- PETA honors Lombard firefighters for duck rescue
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- CPS security guard allegedly pushed student
- Freight train collides with semi-truck in Barrington
- Chicago pet store collecting donations for Oklahoma pets
- Zachary Fardon nominated for US Attorney
- CTU aims to have Emanuel ousted in 2015
- Bryeon Hunter mom pleads not guilty in death of son
- Villa Park suspect grabbed girl, 13, police say
- Slide tips over, injures 6 Algonquin Lakes students
- Chicago fast food workers protest for higher wages
- abcnews: IRS' Lois Lerner Placed on Leave
- Man shot to death in Zion Aldi parking lot
39 min ago
- 'Sexting' ends Evanston HS baseball season...
48 min ago
- Boy Scouts to lift ban on openly gay scouts
26 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos