Adam Lanza's aunt concerned for her family
December 17, 2012 (CRYSTAL LAKE, Ill.) (WLS) -- ''We shed our tears,'' the aunt of Adam Lanza said Monday after hearing the 20-year-old had opened fire at a Connecticut school.
Lanza, 20, killed his mother and then went on a shooting spree at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Friday. Twenty children and six adults died. He then fatally shot himself.
"[My family] didn't want me to go to the press but I thought someone from the Lanza family should be represented," Marsha Lanza said. "We feel it just as much as those families of the 20 lost angels."
Marsha Lanza, lives in Crystal Lake. She said she hadn't seen her nephew, Adam, since he was 3 years old and her family has very little interaction with the Lanzas in Connecticut.
"It has tarnished the name. We are related, but did not have anything to do with it," Marsha Lanza said. "My three younger boys did not know their cousins."
Lanza said she called her son's school to let them know about the connection.
"If there are any issues or problems my kids are smart enough, hopefully strong enough to turnaround and walk away," Marsha Lanza said.
Marsha Lanza said she has not heard from Adam Lanza's father, Peter.
"Nothing. I'm shocked. We're worried," Marsha Lanza said.
local, theresa gutierrez
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow 18 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island 10 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps 8 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos