Bank robber Joseph 'Jose' Banks stole $600K
December 18, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Prison escapee Joseph ''Jose'' Banks is well known to federal authorities in Chicago because of his bizarre courtroom behavior.
He was convicted last week in four hours after jurors saw a video in which he hurdles a bank countertop to get to the vault. He stole $600,000 in two hold-ups, and most of the money was never recovered.
Known as the Second Hand Bandit, Banks, 37, is suspected in a dozen bank robberies. But the FBI couldn't pin them all on him. According to a 2008 affidavit, Banks used several disguises in heists carried out with his cousin. He was the most aggressive of the two, it says, and liked to be the first to enter the building with his handgun drawn. He would often speak with a fake foreign accent.
Banks burned through several lawyers since his arrest four years ago. That's when he started filing his own motions, claiming he was immune from prosecution because he isn't an American citizen, but a "Moorish National from the Republic of Illinois."
"We felt he was growing more and more frustrated over time. The decision to represent himself was not a good one. It was inadvisable...it was a result of his growing frustration in a sense that things were unfair," said former Banks attorney Beau Brindley. "He didn't want to be present, he wanted to sit in the lockup and not sit through the trial. He didn't think he should do that."
Recently, Banks filed a series of rambling, incoherent court motions that were stamped with his thumbprint. When convicted last week, Banks was flanked by extra deputy U.S. marshals because he threatened to leave court. His last words to the judge were, "You'll hear from me."
local, chuck goudie
- CPS adds 3 schools to turnaround list 7 min ago
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Van driver dies in fiery CTA bus crash, ID'd as Eric West, Jr.
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- BNSF Metra trains moving again after semi crash at Kedzie 1 min ago
- Loyola: Student Lucas Fleisher found OK 42 min ago
- Carla Oglesby, ex-Todd Stroger aide, gets 6.5 years
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Iceberg twice size of Atlanta drifts away from Antarctica 55 min ago
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run
- Park Ridge pole crash causes power outage
- Tractor stolen from Beecher exotic-animal shelter
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos