High winds could kick up snow for blizzard-like conditions
December 19, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Winter Storm Watch goes into effect on Thursday, but temperatures and rain will start falling Wednesday evening.
The National Weather Service extended the Winter Storm Watch to include all areas north of I-80, including the city. The main concern: high winds -- which could hit 40 to 50 mph -- on Thursday that could cause blizzard-like conditions Thursday afternoon and night.
"It's going to get messy around here Thursday night," said ABC7 Meteorologist Jerry Taft.
The main problem Wednesday night will be some pretty heavy rain with a couple of thunderstorms.
The cold air with snow will move in on Thursday evening, hopefully after a good portion of the rush hour. It will be very windy and when the winds kick up during the height of storm, Chicago could see blizzard-like conditions. Some of the outlying areas Thursday night will have near white out conditions.
As much as one to six inches of snow is possible in parts of the Chicago area.
Travel on Thursday could become increasingly dangerous as roads freeze and snow accumulates form west to east. According to ABC7 Meteorologist Mike Caplan, "Visibilities will be reduced due to the blowing snow, making travel even more difficult."
Drivers are urged to use caution on the area roadways, and airline travelers should allow for extra time- and call ahead.
The Winter Storm Watch remains in effect until midnight Friday and includes Boone, Lee, Ogle, Winnebago, DeKalb, DuPage, McHenry, Coook, Grundy, Kane, Kendall, Lake and Will counties in Illinois; Lake and Porter County in Indiana; and Kenosha in Wisconsin.
local, jerry taft
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Mayor to expand repaving initiative for potholes
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Chicago-Portland flight allegedly disrupted by man who wanted 4... 11 min ago
- Police: Woman sexually assaulted on Northwest Side
- Sign of Spring: Original Rainbow Cone now open
- NJ judge rules moms don't have to let dads in delivery room 18 min ago
- Beer lawsuit alleges hockey arena charged $3 more for same-size... 51 min ago
- Malaysia denies report missing plane kept flying hours after...
- abcnews: Amazon Accused of Cheating on Free Shipping
- 7 in :77
27 min ago