Chicagoans prepare for wintry conditions
December 20, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago has had a mild winter through most of December- but weather conditions are changing abruptly.
Hardware stores like Home Depot saw a frenzy of activity Thursday as Chicago residents rushed to buy seasonal equipment to battle the anticipated snowstorm.
"I'm 74 and I'm looking for an electric start because I know the snow is coming and I want to be ready for it," said Frank Morris, Home Depot shopper.
"They often wait til the last minute until they hear it's going to snow, then they all come in," said Joshua Verdon, Home Depot employee.
Icy conditions are expected to develop out of the rain that began early Thursday afternoon.
The Chicago Department of Streets and Sanitation said it has 285,000 tons of salt on hand, in addition to 284 snow vehicles and plows on standby.
"We have big concerns regarding ice so we're asking people to drive cautiously and carefully and that's why we have so many pieces of equipment out," said Charles Williams, Chicago Department of Streets and Sanitation.
Williams says the city is prepared for the storm. The department is implementing its real-time Plow Tracker, which allows the public to see snow plow locations throughout the city. Snow plows can be tracked through this link: cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/mayor/iframe/plow_tracker.html.
Some residents- including a UIC student who hails from Taiwan- are actually looking forward to wintry weather.
"In Taiwan the weather is seldom like this and I haven't seen snow yet... I'm very excited," said Bon Lee, UIC MBA student.
"I don't do much playing in the snow, but for Christmas it would be nice to have a little bit of snow on the ground," T.J. Olsen, a North Side resident.
Others are enjoying the light rain before the season's first snow.
"It's definitely been a weird season. It's days away from Christmas and it feels like a Spring day," said Chicagoan John Paciga.
local, ravi baichwal
- Boy, 13, describes Aurora home invasion
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 Skokie residents 12 min ago
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 4 min ago
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Mom honors son's memory by delivering toys to sick children
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks
- Durbin presses regulators to prevent tanker tragedies
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
4 min ago