West Chicago teachers file intent to strike
December 22, 2012 ( WEST CHICAGO, Ill.) (WLS) -- West Chicago teachers could be going on strike as soon as January 7, the first day of school after winter break.
However the teachers union chief negotiator Mary Catherine Kosmach said no strike date has been set.
The union filed its intent to strike Friday.
Union officials and the school board are stuck in negotiations over several issues including salary, class sizes and health insurance.
The district needs to balance the budget and in order to do that it must cap the amount it pays teachers for health insurance, according to the school board president.
"On December third, the District 33 Board halted negotiations and declared impasse," Kosmach wrote in a press release. "The board's action made a difficult situation even more divisive, and for the first time made a strike a real possibility."
Kosmach said the union still hopes a strike will be avoided with "an agreement through mutual compromise with the school board".
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games 57 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary 17 min ago
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado 33 min ago
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation 27 min ago
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden 18 min ago
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- Woman wanted for Wicker Park bank robbery
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home