West Chicago teachers file intent to strike
December 22, 2012 ( WEST CHICAGO, Ill.) (WLS) -- West Chicago teachers could be going on strike as soon as January 7, the first day of school after winter break.
However the teachers union chief negotiator Mary Catherine Kosmach said no strike date has been set.
The union filed its intent to strike Friday.
Union officials and the school board are stuck in negotiations over several issues including salary, class sizes and health insurance.
The district needs to balance the budget and in order to do that it must cap the amount it pays teachers for health insurance, according to the school board president.
"On December third, the District 33 Board halted negotiations and declared impasse," Kosmach wrote in a press release. "The board's action made a difficult situation even more divisive, and for the first time made a strike a real possibility."
Kosmach said the union still hopes a strike will be avoided with "an agreement through mutual compromise with the school board".
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Extreme cold continues, more snow on the way 7 min ago
- Chicago memorials honor Nelson Mandela 24 min ago
- Evan Lysacek out of Sochi Games due to injury
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 5 min ago
- Office Depot move disappoints IL lawmakers 42 min ago
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Man charged with pouring boiling water on teen 51 min ago
- Firefighter crashes van into Ind. home, suffers burns
- Sex assault trial begins without defendant, 85
- CTA trains to be cleaned less often, union says 21 min ago
- Northwest Side fire displaces 5
- Flossmoor fire injures woman
- Evanston attempted sex assault triggers alert
- abcnews: Football player suspended for snowball fight
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
5 min ago
- 7 in :77
- Extreme cold continues, more snow on the way
7 min ago