Mom, aunt charged in fatal fire
December 23, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police have filed charges against two women in connection with the fatal fire that took the lives of 2-year-old Javaris and 3-year-old Jariyah Meakens.
The childrens' mother Tatiana Meakens, 23, has been charged with two felony and two misdemeanor counts of child endangerment, according to Chicago Police News Affairs. Their aunt, 22-year-old Britany Meakens, was charged with the same counts, authorities said.
The children were left home alone and died when a fire erupted at their West Englewood home around 3:23 a.m. Saturday, according to authorities.
The childrens' two older cousins escaped the fire and are now in state custody, authorities said.
One of the boys who got out told a neighbor that all four children were left alone in the house.
"They were just standing there shivering. No coat, no shoes," neighbor Michelle Washington said Saturday. "When we brought them in, they told us their aunt and their mom left them in the house alone. Told them to go to sleep."
Both women are expected to appear in court Monday, police said.
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 49 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370, missing Malaysia plane, had asylum seeker onboard
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday 15 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night 21 min ago
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge 26 min ago
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Chicagoans 'save,' electric bills skyrocket
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77
29 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
49 min ago