Two men questioned in connection with sexual assault of teenage girl
December 23, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Two men were questioned by police Sunday in connection with the brutal sexual assault of a teenage girl in the Chatham neighborhood, investigators said.
Police said the attack happened near 83rd and Martin Luther King Drive Friday around 8 p.m.
A 15-year-old girl, who left her Chatham-area home just long enough to take out the garbage, was approached by a group of men in a black truck, according to investigators.
The driver told her to get in and when she refused, the victim was pistol whipped by one of the passengers and knocked out, according to police. When she woke up, she was being sexually assaulted by six men taking turns, police said.
Investigators said the victim was able to escape the house where she was assaulted and make it back home. After calling police, she was taken to St. Bernard Hospital for treatment.
"I hate to hear that something happened to someone like that because have a lot of granddaughters," area resident Phyllis Keene said.
As horrifying as the attack is, residents confess they're not surprised. Even on the busy stretch of 83rd Street near Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, they said you can never be too careful and walking alone is discouraged.
"I watch my back every time I leave the house for work," Chatham resident Cynthia Thomas said. "It's been horrible lately, and I try to be careful."
The girl identified the two men being questioned by police as two of her six alleged attackers, investigators said.
No charges have been filed, according to Chicago Police News Affairs.
local, michelle gallardo
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 13 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 2 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago 4 min ago
- Obama: 2014 can be 'breakthrough year' for US 48 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores 38 min ago
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing 38 min ago
- Horse escapes, gallops down Old Town streets
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Briggs' status still up in air for Bears 12 min ago
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago 25 min ago
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
2 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
4 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos