2 arrested after man killed in Washington Park shooting
December 31, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police are questioning two men about a deadly shooting on the city's South Side.
The shooting happened Sunday night near 51st Street and Indiana in the Washington Park neighborhood.
The victim has been identified as 28-year-old Christopher Thomas, one of the 503 homicide victims in 2012.
"I never suspected that my brother would be part of this number. You see the violence, hear about it on TV, but you never expect it to hit your home," said the victim's sister Chrystal Kyles.
Kyles says her brother might have been a target because of the anti-violence message he promoted as a rap artist.
" "He was a gentle giant. He was always helping somebody," she said.
Police officers say they arrived at the shooting scene just in time to see the two suspects take off in a car. The officers chased the car onto the Dan Ryan Expressway, where the car crashed into another vehicle at the 43rd Street exit.
Officers then arrested the two men. No charges had been filed Monday.
There also was no word on what sparked the shooting.
Meanwhile, at least two other people were shot to death and 11 others were wounded over the weekend.
In the South Roseland neighborhood, a 19-year-old man was found shot to death in an alley, and on the city's Northwest Side, another 19-year-old who was with a group of men was also shot multiple times. He died at Stroger Hospital.
At a news conference Monday, outspoken St. Sabina Pastor Fr. Michael Pfleger brought attention to the high number of incidents this year killing people like Christopher Thomas.
"We can't just deal with numbers anymore. We've got to deal with the causes and face it head on. If there is no consequence to shooting someone, the message on the street is it's very unlikely that you'll get caught," Pfleger said.
Christopher Thomas leaves behind a 9-year-old daughter.
local, jason knowles
- Bitter cold expected to last through the weekend
- World mourns Nelson Mandela
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Schaumburg woman missing since October found 6 min ago
- Illinois pension bill private signing questioned
- Local teams playing for Pop Warner football championships
- Chicago speed cameras added on North, South Sides
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Hanover Park man charged with indecent solicitation gets $250K...
- Loop attorney, nephew charged with sex assault of man
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open in...
58 min ago