Chicago readies for New Year
December 31, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- With the countdown to 2013 on, New Year's Eve celebrations were in high gear all over the Chicago area Monday.
Fireworks lit up the night sky over navy pier Monday night. It was first of two displays on New Year's Eve and specifically aimed at families wanting to share the holiday with their children. Thousands came out to enjoy the show.
"It was awesome," said Jesus Villalobos. "They put on a really good show. We've seen a bunch of shows other places. One of thebest we've seen."
At the Brookfield Zoo, another family-friendly celebration included a DJ for the little ones and ice carving demonstrations. All of it set in the midst of one million twinkling lights.
"I'm always used to doing the adult party thing and leaving the girls," said Deborah Lewis. "That's why this year I'm celebrating with the girls this year."
And of course, it would not be New Year's Eve without a lavish, over the top hotel party. At the Palmer House Hilton, planning for the menu alone started four months ago. Monday afternoon the freezers were packed with decadent desserts while 120 cases of bubbly were on hand for the 3,000 plus guests expected.
"It's phenomenal," said executive chef Stephen Henry. "It's a beautiful hotel, the ballroom is gorgeous and really lends itself for the party. Everybody knows the Palmer House. It's a hotel known around the world. And we're very very proud."
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 2 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station 26 min ago
- Chicago FOP president suspended 56 min ago
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe 31 min ago
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- Rodman returns to N. Korea on basketball diplomacy trip
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket...
2 min ago