Chicago readies for New Year
December 31, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- With the countdown to 2013 on, New Year's Eve celebrations were in high gear all over the Chicago area Monday.
Fireworks lit up the night sky over navy pier Monday night. It was first of two displays on New Year's Eve and specifically aimed at families wanting to share the holiday with their children. Thousands came out to enjoy the show.
"It was awesome," said Jesus Villalobos. "They put on a really good show. We've seen a bunch of shows other places. One of thebest we've seen."
At the Brookfield Zoo, another family-friendly celebration included a DJ for the little ones and ice carving demonstrations. All of it set in the midst of one million twinkling lights.
"I'm always used to doing the adult party thing and leaving the girls," said Deborah Lewis. "That's why this year I'm celebrating with the girls this year."
And of course, it would not be New Year's Eve without a lavish, over the top hotel party. At the Palmer House Hilton, planning for the menu alone started four months ago. Monday afternoon the freezers were packed with decadent desserts while 120 cases of bubbly were on hand for the 3,000 plus guests expected.
"It's phenomenal," said executive chef Stephen Henry. "It's a beautiful hotel, the ballroom is gorgeous and really lends itself for the party. Everybody knows the Palmer House. It's a hotel known around the world. And we're very very proud."
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 7 dead, 22 hurt since Friday night
- Bad Wolf Coffee offers French caneles
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- Woman wanted for Wicker Park bank robbery
- BMO Harris Bank branch in Austin robbed
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 35 min ago
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- YMCA in Naperville gears up for 'Healthy Kids Day'
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home
- Newsviews: I-DOT Road Construction
47 min ago