Tammy Duckworth to be sworn into Congress on Thursday
January 1, 2013 ( ROLLING MEADOWS, Ill.) -- Congressman-elect Tammy Duckworth, an Iraq war veteran, will be sworn into the U.S. House of Representatives at the Disabled American Veterans office in Washington.
Duckworth's office made the announcement Monday. She will be sworn in on Thursday afternoon to represent Illinois' 8th Congressional District.
The Democrat was elected in November to the U.S. House, defeating first-term Republican Congressman Joe Walsh. The contest in Chicago's suburbs was closely watched nationwide.
Duckworth has worked for both the U.S. and the Illinois veterans affairs departments. She lost both legs and severely damaged her arm in Iraq while serving as an Army helicopter pilot.
- 2 hurt in North Side crash 34 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- 6 shot at party in Austin 42 min ago
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side 21 min ago
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- PM won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land 21 min ago
- Interpol: Database not checked pre-Malaysia flight
- No consensus on notifying victims of data breaches
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
- 2 hurt in North Side crash
34 min ago
- Daily Herald: Long-time Married Couples
29 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos