Tammy Duckworth to be sworn into Congress on Thursday
January 1, 2013 ( ROLLING MEADOWS, Ill.) -- Congressman-elect Tammy Duckworth, an Iraq war veteran, will be sworn into the U.S. House of Representatives at the Disabled American Veterans office in Washington.
Duckworth's office made the announcement Monday. She will be sworn in on Thursday afternoon to represent Illinois' 8th Congressional District.
The Democrat was elected in November to the U.S. House, defeating first-term Republican Congressman Joe Walsh. The contest in Chicago's suburbs was closely watched nationwide.
Duckworth has worked for both the U.S. and the Illinois veterans affairs departments. She lost both legs and severely damaged her arm in Iraq while serving as an Army helicopter pilot.
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Wicker Park water main break gushes for hours
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids 56 min ago
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced
- Suit: Wrestler dating ex pushed man down stairs at custody... 48 min ago
- I-Team: Illinois Poison Center hotline's cry for help
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand