Father of kids burned in Lawndale fire dies; mother killed in blaze set on purpose
January 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Details emerge in the deadly fire that happened in Chicago's Lawndale neighborhood.
Police say that 29-year-old Nathaniel Beller set the fire early Saturday morning. He died from injuries related to the fire.
His 4-year-old child also died after the home was set on fire. A 9-year-old child is still in critical condition.
The children's mother, Taniya Johnson, was killed in the blaze.
New details in the investigation reveal that Beller was released without charges three months before the incident- after he filled his bathtub with gasoline and threatened to burn his children.
According to the Chicago Sun-Times, Beller was freed after a psychiatric evaluation at that time.
Investigators said Beller hadn't been charged before he died.
Two middle-aged and elderly women were also hospitalized in fair-to-serious condition.
- Schaumburg couple survive Oklahoma tornado
- $19.6M settlement in priest sex abuse lawsuit
- Video: Wednesday @ 6AM: Saving on Gas?
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Wheel of Fortune will air at 2:05 a.m.
- Maywood honors man who found missing toddler's body
- Trial begins in Burger King manager's 2006 murder
- CPS protests continue ahead of key school closings vote
- Kellie Pickler wins 'Dancing with the Stars'
- Florida man pleads guilty in Bears fan death
- 'Bishop bomber' sentenced to 37 years in prison
- Photos: Tornadoes hit Oklahoma, Kansas
- Addison comfort dogs headed to Moore, Okla.
- Photos: Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos