Father of kids burned in Lawndale fire dies; mother killed in blaze set on purpose
January 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Details emerge in the deadly fire that happened in Chicago's Lawndale neighborhood.
Police say that 29-year-old Nathaniel Beller set the fire early Saturday morning. He died from injuries related to the fire.
His 4-year-old child also died after the home was set on fire. A 9-year-old child is still in critical condition.
The children's mother, Taniya Johnson, was killed in the blaze.
New details in the investigation reveal that Beller was released without charges three months before the incident- after he filled his bathtub with gasoline and threatened to burn his children.
According to the Chicago Sun-Times, Beller was freed after a psychiatric evaluation at that time.
Investigators said Beller hadn't been charged before he died.
Two middle-aged and elderly women were also hospitalized in fair-to-serious condition.
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer