Chicago Ridge deputy fire chief remains on home confinement after being charged with attempted murder
January 8, 2013 (BRIDGEVIEW, Ill.) (WLS) -- New details emerged Tuesday about a former suburban deputy fire chief charged with trying to kill his neighbor.
In court Tuesday, prosecutors said the victim ran to the apartment of the suspect, Gary Swiercz, not realizing he just attacked her while wearing a mask. Swiercz was hired as a firefighter in 1988 by the Chicago Ridge Fire Department. As of Monday, he retired as deputy chief.
Swiercz came to the Bridgeview courthouse Tuesday as prosecutors wanted to have conditions of his bond increased. The judge let stand a previous judge's order allowing Swiercz out on bond but on home confinement at his parents' home in Worth.
Swiercz is accused of attacking a female neighbor in her sleep in his Tinley Park building on Saturday wearing a ski mask.
A prosecutor said Tuesday the victim didn't know who was behind the ski mask and actually went to her firefighter neighbor for help -- only to find his door open.
"That poor girl," said neighbor Pearl Doran. "She'll be seeing this in her sleep always...I just hope she can get over it."
One woman, who did not want her name used, says her daughter lives near Swiercz. Despite installing a new security system -- and the building had its locks changed -- she says two female relatives of Swiercz went into his condo Tuesday.
"Family members now have keys to the building after the locks have been changed, and the scare has put back into her again," said the woman.
Swiercz is charged with attempted murder, home invasion, attempted aggravated criminal sexual assault, aggravated unlawful restraint and residential burglary.
Swiercz did not comment as he left the courthouse Tuesday. He is due back in court February 7.
local, leah hope
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood 51 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 18 min ago
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player 31 min ago
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 50 min ago
- Naperville votes to allow MMA fights, with restrictions 21 min ago
- Mom honors son's memory by delivering toys to sick children 3 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks 28 min ago
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- CPS to convert Logan Square school into military academy 31 min ago
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
18 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without...
28 min ago
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from...
31 min ago