2 shot at Southwest Side strip mall
January 8, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police were on the scene Tuesday night, looking for suspects after two people were shot on Chicago's Southwest Side.
It happened around sunset inside a strip mall in the 6500-block of South Western Avenue.
Two people including a store worker were hit.
Witnesses say a small group of young people gathered in the parking lot. That's when a few other people joined them. A worker at the strip mall may have told the group to move along.
"Sounded like maybe about .40-caliber, maybe about seven or eight shots, right in front of the store," said witness Serome Barrow. "One of the guys who got hit was one of the guys from the convenience store...it was pretty bad, unfortunately."
The store worker was apparently shot in the leg. He is reportedly in better shape than the second person who was wounded. That person's injuries are described as "serious."
Police have not said what they believe may have led to the gunfire.
local, ben bradley
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 50 min ago
- Woman falls on CTA tracks, rescued by bystanders 52 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago 3 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores 48 min ago
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing 45 min ago
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Free pizza Friday at new Lakeview restaurant 42 min ago
- Cousin of Mass. gov, from Rockford, among 8 getting commutations
- Photos: Target Credit Card Breach: What to do if...
- Pastor defrocked after officiating son's gay marriage
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape 45 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
50 min ago
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
48 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos