1 dead, 1 injured in Old Town shooting
January 8, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police are on the scene of a deadly shooting in Chicago's Old Town neighborhood where one person was killed and another rushed to Northwestern Hospital.
Police are calling this a gang shooting, but shots rang out near Sedgwick and Evergreen around 6 p.m. Tuesday evening, near the busy intersection of Division and LaSalle.
Police say that two men shot at a convenience store, a 31-year-old man was hit several times. He was dead before he arrived at the hospital.
The other, 20 years old, was hit in the back. He is listed in stable condition.
A friend of the man who died said he was a father. She calls him a victim of the gang war raging in Chicago streets.
"The boy is nice, he's well-known, ain't never been in no gang bang fight. They just need to stop the violence, just stop it," said Chante Morris.
A police spokesperson identifies the two who were shot as being gang members. The family of the man who died denied that.
There is an enormous police presence now circulating through the Old Town neighborhood, a community that is sandwiched between Lincoln Park to the north and the shadow of Downtown Chicago to the south.
local, ben bradley
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say 13 min ago
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox 51 min ago
- Chicago typhoon relief shipments reach the Philippines 21 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute