1 dead, 1 injured in Old Town shooting
January 8, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police are on the scene of a deadly shooting in Chicago's Old Town neighborhood where one person was killed and another rushed to Northwestern Hospital.
Police are calling this a gang shooting, but shots rang out near Sedgwick and Evergreen around 6 p.m. Tuesday evening, near the busy intersection of Division and LaSalle.
Police say that two men shot at a convenience store, a 31-year-old man was hit several times. He was dead before he arrived at the hospital.
The other, 20 years old, was hit in the back. He is listed in stable condition.
A friend of the man who died said he was a father. She calls him a victim of the gang war raging in Chicago streets.
"The boy is nice, he's well-known, ain't never been in no gang bang fight. They just need to stop the violence, just stop it," said Chante Morris.
A police spokesperson identifies the two who were shot as being gang members. The family of the man who died denied that.
There is an enormous police presence now circulating through the Old Town neighborhood, a community that is sandwiched between Lincoln Park to the north and the shadow of Downtown Chicago to the south.
local, ben bradley
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 21 min ago
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
21 min ago