1 dead, 1 injured in Old Town shooting
January 8, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police are on the scene of a deadly shooting in Chicago's Old Town neighborhood where one person was killed and another rushed to Northwestern Hospital.
Police are calling this a gang shooting, but shots rang out near Sedgwick and Evergreen around 6 p.m. Tuesday evening, near the busy intersection of Division and LaSalle.
Police say that two men shot at a convenience store, a 31-year-old man was hit several times. He was dead before he arrived at the hospital.
The other, 20 years old, was hit in the back. He is listed in stable condition.
A friend of the man who died said he was a father. She calls him a victim of the gang war raging in Chicago streets.
"The boy is nice, he's well-known, ain't never been in no gang bang fight. They just need to stop the violence, just stop it," said Chante Morris.
A police spokesperson identifies the two who were shot as being gang members. The family of the man who died denied that.
There is an enormous police presence now circulating through the Old Town neighborhood, a community that is sandwiched between Lincoln Park to the north and the shadow of Downtown Chicago to the south.
local, ben bradley
- 2 hurt in North Side crash 33 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- 6 shot at party in Austin 41 min ago
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side 20 min ago
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- PM won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land 20 min ago
- Interpol: Database not checked pre-Malaysia flight
- No consensus on notifying victims of data breaches
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
- 2 hurt in North Side crash
33 min ago
- Daily Herald: Long-time Married Couples
28 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos