1 dead, 1 injured in Old Town shooting
January 8, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police are on the scene of a deadly shooting in Chicago's Old Town neighborhood where one person was killed and another rushed to Northwestern Hospital.
Police are calling this a gang shooting, but shots rang out near Sedgwick and Evergreen around 6 p.m. Tuesday evening, near the busy intersection of Division and LaSalle.
Police say that two men shot at a convenience store, a 31-year-old man was hit several times. He was dead before he arrived at the hospital.
The other, 20 years old, was hit in the back. He is listed in stable condition.
A friend of the man who died said he was a father. She calls him a victim of the gang war raging in Chicago streets.
"The boy is nice, he's well-known, ain't never been in no gang bang fight. They just need to stop the violence, just stop it," said Chante Morris.
A police spokesperson identifies the two who were shot as being gang members. The family of the man who died denied that.
There is an enormous police presence now circulating through the Old Town neighborhood, a community that is sandwiched between Lincoln Park to the north and the shadow of Downtown Chicago to the south.
local, ben bradley
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs 31 min ago
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd
- Man arrested in shooting of Garfield Park pharmacist 49 min ago
- Chicago artist created pope's image for Time cover 46 min ago
- Metra UP West train delayed by freight train 4 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case 48 min ago
- Ugly Christmas sweater store pops up in...
27 min ago
- Chicago artist created pope's image for...
46 min ago