CTU president's 'off with their heads' comment criticized
January 9, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The president of the Chicago Teachers Union is under fire for a controversial comment she made during a labor event in Chicago last month.
Video of Karen Lewis' speech December 2 was posted online Monday. She was making a keynote address at the Illinois Labor History Society's Union Hall of Honor dinner. She commented how an earlier generation of labor leaders resolved their differences with the wealthy.
"The labor leaders of that time, though, were ready to kill. They were. They were just -- off with their heads," Lewis said.
Chicago Public Schools released a statement saying, "Our focus is on our students and their education. This kind of rhetoric has no place in the work that must be done to address the issues facing our district. We all must look for constructive ways to address and resolve these very serious issues in order to best support the academic success of our children."
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 51 min ago
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
51 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos