CTU president's 'off with their heads' comment criticized
January 9, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The president of the Chicago Teachers Union is under fire for a controversial comment she made during a labor event in Chicago last month.
Video of Karen Lewis' speech December 2 was posted online Monday. She was making a keynote address at the Illinois Labor History Society's Union Hall of Honor dinner. She commented how an earlier generation of labor leaders resolved their differences with the wealthy.
"The labor leaders of that time, though, were ready to kill. They were. They were just -- off with their heads," Lewis said.
Chicago Public Schools released a statement saying, "Our focus is on our students and their education. This kind of rhetoric has no place in the work that must be done to address the issues facing our district. We all must look for constructive ways to address and resolve these very serious issues in order to best support the academic success of our children."
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 41 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Teacher's aide posed as teen to meet girls online
- CTA Green Line briefly interrupted
- Dog rescued from icy Lake Michigan 6 min ago
- Free small business expo begins in Chicago 45 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine 36 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD