CTU president's 'off with their heads' comment criticized
January 9, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The president of the Chicago Teachers Union is under fire for a controversial comment she made during a labor event in Chicago last month.
Video of Karen Lewis' speech December 2 was posted online Monday. She was making a keynote address at the Illinois Labor History Society's Union Hall of Honor dinner. She commented how an earlier generation of labor leaders resolved their differences with the wealthy.
"The labor leaders of that time, though, were ready to kill. They were. They were just -- off with their heads," Lewis said.
Chicago Public Schools released a statement saying, "Our focus is on our students and their education. This kind of rhetoric has no place in the work that must be done to address the issues facing our district. We all must look for constructive ways to address and resolve these very serious issues in order to best support the academic success of our children."
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 28 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break 44 min ago
- Flight 370, missing Malaysia plane, had asylum seeker onboard
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 46 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday 22 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night 38 min ago
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge 5 min ago
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Chicagoans 'save,' electric bills skyrocket
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
46 min ago
- 7 in :77
8 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
28 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
44 min ago