AMBER Alert canceled; toddler taken in Bensenville found safe
January 10, 2013 (BENSENVILLE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A very relieved and happy mother has her 18-month-old daughter at home after someone took the mother's SUV with the toddler in the backseat.It happened on West Irving Park Road in suburban Bensenville. After a six-hour AMBER Alert the little girl was found just about a mile away.
Kimberly Delgado was still strapped in her car seat. Her mother's black Buick Rendezvous was sitting in the driveway of a home. A curious neighbor spotted her and called police.
"I'm happy for the family, the mother," said Bensenville Police Chief Frank Kosmen. "The child was found, unhurt."
That was just before 7 a.m. Thursday morning. It had been a long night for the mother. Just after 12:30 a.m. she had left her car running in the parking lot of an apartment complex on Irving Park Road. She walked to the building lobby, talking to a friend.
"She made a mistake by walking 30 feet away from the vehicle while it was running and somebody took the opportunity to steal the car," said Kosmen.
A neighbor saw the hysterical mother.
"She was sick with worry for her baby," said Yahira Olmos. "She said someone took her car."
Authorities are now looking for a Hispanic male, about 5'4", between 30 and 40 years old. He is described as having a heavy build and was wearing a red sweater.
local, linda yu
- CTA Red Line resumes service 47th to 95th/Dan Ryan
- Photos: La Porte County stolen items on display
- Chicago weather: Temps fall by end of week
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- No injuries at South Side high-rise fire
- Officials try to ID body near missing woman's home
- Midlothian officer faces excessive force charges
- Wonder Lake man charged with sexually abusing juvenile
- Homewood bank robbers hiding in complex, police say
- 'Blues Brothers' mall chase recreated with...
- Paul Konerko signs White Sox 1-year extension
- Will County workers reach strike-ending deal
- Ventra progress report shows major improvement