Durbin meets with local law enforcement about gun control
January 10, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Senator Dick Durbin met with Chicago-area law enforcement officials Thursday to discuss gun control.
Durbin asked the officials to offer a picture of gun violence in their jurisdictions.
Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy showed an Uzi style gun that was just one of 7400 firearms seized in Chicago in 2012.
"Virtually every one of those seizures is an armed confrontation between our officers and a criminal," McCarthy said.
Durbin said he will take insights gained from the meeting to upcoming Senate hearings on gun violence.
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack 26 min ago
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court 10 min ago
- Police: KC highway shooting suspect in custody
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 12 min ago
- Huntley votes to ban e-cigarettes in schools 53 min ago
- Man shot in Lincoln Square
- Francis Cardinal George holds Holy Thursday mass
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run
- Chicago woman owns first Ford Mustang ever sold
- Presidential library in Chicago takes step forward
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos