Durbin meets with local law enforcement about gun control
January 10, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Senator Dick Durbin met with Chicago-area law enforcement officials Thursday to discuss gun control.
Durbin asked the officials to offer a picture of gun violence in their jurisdictions.
Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy showed an Uzi style gun that was just one of 7400 firearms seized in Chicago in 2012.
"Virtually every one of those seizures is an armed confrontation between our officers and a criminal," McCarthy said.
Durbin said he will take insights gained from the meeting to upcoming Senate hearings on gun violence.
- Contaminated injections traced to IL clinic
- Second video allegedly shows guard push student
- Memorial Day travel: Illinois roadways, airports busy
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- James Ealy guilty in 2006 Burger King murder
- $1.5M boat catches fire, trespasser arrested
- Distance not the issue with CPS safe passage
- South Loop shooting injures 2
- Boy runs away from attempted kidnapper at Bell
- Free Sunday parking plan faces scrutiny
- Concealed carry bill passes Illinois House
- Photos: Skagit River Bridge Collapse on I-5
- Bears to retire Mike Ditka number
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO Scolded By 9-Year-Old