Metal detector required after boy brings gun to John Marsh Elementary School
January 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- John Marsh Elementary School has one metal detector, and now all 800 students have to go through it.
That wasn't the case before. But on Wednesday, an unloaded handgun and 33 hollow-point bullets were found inside a 13-year-old boy's backpack in his locker. Now officials are reevaluating the school's security.
"The weapon should have never made it through the front door. Point blank. Period," Jason Vasquez, parent, said.
Parents - many of them furious - met with the principal Friday morning to get answers, and to find out why it took the school a full day to officially inform them of the incident. Children at the K-8 school went home with a note about Wednesday's incident on Thursday.
"There should be absolutely no reason I'm finding out through a friend, 'Oh, there was a gun at school.' I'm sorry what?" Michael Ramos, parent, said.
"Pray to God this never happens again, but if it does that we are to be the first to be informed," Olivia Castellano, parent, said.
The discovery of the gun in the locker came in the afternoon on Wednesday, and school officials said they needed to nail down the facts before releasing information. They made no evening robo calls, nor was anything posted on the school website.
"With all our schools we're working with our principals to make sure that in the event that we are notifying our parents as quickly as possible --- same day," Jadine Chou, CPS chief of safety and security, said. "If the information is accurate, we will notify the parents as soon as possible - again not a matter of time of day."
Marsh Elementary has one full time security guard and one metal detector. Chou says that is now under review.
"[The] goal here is to make sure school is safe. I'm not going to let, no one is going to let the a budget for one metal detector get in the way of safety for students," Chou said.
local, paul meincke
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 4 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break 11 min ago
- Flight 370, missing Malaysia plane, had asylum seeker onboard
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 13 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin 45 min ago
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night 5 min ago
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Chicagoans 'save,' electric bills skyrocket
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
13 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
4 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
11 min ago