Winter weather leaves behind slippery conditions
January 13, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The winter weather advisory ended early Sunday, but people in the Chicago area were advised to be careful as slippery conditions persisted.
Many sidewalks, roads and expressways across the Chicago area were wet and icy.
According to Illinois State Police, there were no major weather-related trouble spots Sunday, but authorities said they were on standby for any reports of icy conditions and accidents.
Conditions overnight were more treacherous. The winter weather system moved in quickly Saturday night, causing black ice in a lot of areas. One to two inches of snow fell in McHenry County.
State police say the weather was the cause of an 11-car pileup on the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway at Gary Avenue near suburban Schaumburg. It happened at approximately 11 p.m. Saturday. Authorities say freezing rain turned into ice and caught drivers by surprise.
Two people reportedly suffered minor injuries in that crash but did not need to go to the hospital.
Icy roads and freezing rain were blamed for nearly a dozen crashes in total in the northwest suburbs.
Weather conditions Sunday morning were noticeably colder than Saturday and misty, which was giving people the faulty idea that rain was the only concern, instead of ice, as well.
Drivers were advised to watch out for black ice.
On another weather-related note, CTA Yellow Line service was suspended for a short time Sunday morning but later resumed.
local, diane pathieu
- Spring-like day followed by snow 10 min ago
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex trafficking 6 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Photos: Semi overturns, dumps beads on Tri-State
- Photos: Irving Park Fire
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox
- Energy deal to save city money, but not customers 6 min ago
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by...
13 min ago
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex...
6 min ago