Mayor Emanuel addresses gun control in DC
January 14, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago is moving to the frontline in the fight against gun violence.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel, in Washington Monday, said he will "lead a charge" among mayors across the nation.
At the same time, Emanuel has ordered the city's pension and retirement funds to pull investments out of any companies that manufacture assault weapons.
"I've ordered all the Chicago pension funds to check any of their investments, and if they haven't, we're gonna divest of any of investments they have in any gun manufacturer," said Emanuel.
"I would imagine there are some funds that have invested in these type of assault weapons," said Chicago City Comptroller Amer Ahmad. "Public pensions should not be a source of capital for these assault weapons manufacturers."
Tuesday in Washington, Vice President Joe Biden will recommend a robust gun control game plan to President Barack Obama, including:
- stronger background checks for all gun purchases,
- a ban on high-capacity magazine clips,
- and a renewed ban on assault weapons.
"My starting point is not to worry about politics," said President Obama. "My starting point is to focus on what makes sense, what works."
A new ABC News-Washington Post poll shows that Americans overwhelmingly support tougher gun control measures:
- 88 percent favor background checks on buyers at gun shows,
- 76 percent support checks on buyers of ammunition,
- 71 percent want a new federal database to track all gun sales,
- and 65 percent favor a ban on high-capacity magazines.
local, alan krashesky
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 1 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands 47 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
1 min ago