Niles salon robbed in broad daylight
January 14, 2013 (NILES, Ill.) (WLS) -- A man believed to be responsible for other robberies is suspected of holding up a salon in north suburban Niles Monday.
Hair Cuttery, in the 8300-block of Golf Road, was robbed around 11:30 a.m. Monday.
A store employee, who wishes to remain unidentified, was forced to open the cash register at gunpoint.
"It was the first time I had a gun pointed at my face... I have this fear... That he could come back again," she said.
No one was hurt and the store did not have surveillance cameras. Salon management say they had just warned employees about a string of robberies in the area.
"She was pretty frightened at the moment. It was surreal that we had already talked to our stylists and let them know that he's out there, this is what he's looking for, and you know, just really looking out for their safety, just you know, that's what he wants, just give him the money. That's exactly what she did," said Socorro Cepeda, district leader of Hair Cuttery.
The robber is described as a man in his mid 30s, about 5'10", 200 lbs., wearing dark sunglasses, a black jacket with the hood covering his head and armed with a handgun.
The suspect matches similar descriptions of robberies that have occurred in Skokie and Morton Grove.
A Supercuts in Skokie was robbed at gunpoint last week near Dempster and Central Park Avenue around 12:25 p.m. on Thursday, according to Skokie police.
An employee recognized the man wearing a black hooded sweatshirt from an earlier police alert, authorities said.
Police say the suspect follows a similar pattern each time. He walks into a salon acting like a customer before pulling out a long barrel black revolver and demanding cash from the register.
Police said they are unsure why the suspect targets hair salons specifically. But they have theories about why he chooses large chains.
"What we are finding is... It's a way to get quick cash," said Commander Dennis McEnerney with Niles police.
local, john garcia
- Alsip refinery fire after possible explosion 1 min ago
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights
- Blagojevich appeal goes before judges
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 27 min ago
- Free Mega Millions tickets in Chicago
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River near lake
- Body of missing Lansing man, 40, found in ditch 44 min ago
- 8 LSD crashes reported within 1 mile in 1 hour
- Doritos wings, Mountain Dew dipping sauce could come to BWW
- Winter weather advisories; snow follows cold
- Ex-teacher Amber Kraus pleads not guilty to teen sex assault
- Prisoner charged in 1988 Rogers Park rape, murder
- CTA auctioning seats, signs, rail car, more
- Chicago man gets 50 years in ex-wife's death
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
27 min ago
- ABC7 To Go 12-13-13
2 min ago
- 7 in :77