Melrose Park mother fatally shot in her garage
January 16, 2013 (WLS) -- A west suburban mother was found shot to death inside the garage of her home.
Maricela Vera, 41, was killed Tuesday night in Melrose Park.
Concerned neighbors are waiting for answers from police on the investigation.
Vera's family members gathered at the Melrose Park home she shared with her husband and children.
They did not want to talk about what happened to Vera.
Vera died just before 8 p.m. after being shot, according to police. Family members found her unresponsive in the garage, authorities said.
Neighbor Cathy Acevedo said she thought something was wrong on the block when she got home from work around 6 p.m. and saw several police cars.
It wasn't until Wednesday morning when Acevedo found out what happened.
"It's so sad," Acevedo said. "I feel so sorry."
Residents can only speculate about what happened. They discussed rumors that the deadly shooting followed a robbery.
Police are still investigating and are not releasing any details.
In the meantime people in the neighborhood said they will pay closer attention to their safety.
"Nobody's safe," Rev. Anthony Simmons said.
local, karen jordan
- Contaminated injections traced to IL clinic 43 min ago
- Second video allegedly shows guard push student 56 min ago
- Memorial Day travel: Illinois roadways, airports busy
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- James Ealy guilty in 2006 Burger King murder
- $1.5M boat catches fire, trespasser arrested
- Distance not the issue with CPS safe passage
- South Loop shooting injures 2
- Boy runs away from attempted kidnapper at Bell
- Free Sunday parking plan faces scrutiny
- Concealed carry bill passes Illinois House
- Photos: Skagit River Bridge Collapse on I-5
- Bears to retire Mike Ditka number
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO Scolded By 9-Year-Old
- Contaminated injections traced to IL clinic
43 min ago
- Second video allegedly shows guard push...
56 min ago