3 Schaumburg police officers arrested on drug charges
January 16, 2013 (SCHAUMBURG, Ill.) (WLS) -- Three Schaumburg police officers were arrested by federal agents Wednesday on drug charges.
A team of federal drug agents assembled from across the country executed 20 search warrants Wednesday in Schaumburg and three police officers from the suburb were taken into custody, law enforcement sources say.
The Schaumburg policemen were all assigned to the narcotics unit and were under investigation for selling drugs.
They had a wide range of experience on the job, ranging from five to 23 years with the department.
But rather than getting drugs and dealers off the street, the officers were allegedly doing their own dealing.
Village officials declined to talk about the arrests on camera but they acknowledged the investigation in a statement.
"The Village of Schaumburg this evening placed three Schaumburg police officers on administrative leave pending the outcome of a criminal investigation being carried out by the DuPage County State's Attorney's Office," officials said in the statement.
The department has also launched its own internal investigation, according to the statement.
The officers are due in court Thursday.
local, john garcia
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn; no winner
- Barrington Hills school bus crashes with snow plow
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Cops: Drunk ambulance driver caused Uptown crash 26 min ago
- Sen. Kirk released after gall bladder surgery
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from... 16 min ago
- Attempted child abduction on Chicago's Southwest Side
- EB 80/94 reopens at Cline after multi-vehicle crash
- DiGiorno pizza drops Wisconsin dairy farm over cow abuse video
- Illinois bids for Boeing plant
- Frozen hydrants hamper CFD firefighters
- What electronics will be under your tree?
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- ABC7 To Go, December 11, 2013
37 min ago